Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Bonus and a Tragedy

It was to have been one of the happiest moments of my life. Fate however willed otherwise.

After many years I was to receive a performance linked incentive (PLI) or a bonus as some would call it. I got a sudden call on my cell phone from my boss wanting to see me urgently.

When I entered his room he was all smiles as he gave me a cheque saying that this was my PLI cheque. I saw the amount and could not help remarking “ This is a good amount”. I smiled back in appreciation and went back to my seat.

In a short time everything turned upside down. The news channels had started flashing the news of trains in Mumbai being bombed. It was July 11, 2006 and terrorists had bombed a number of trains in Mumbai. I huddled alongwith my colleagues and tried to catch the news. The tragedy was to eventually claim 187 lives –that of innocent people whose only crime was that they had boarded a train as they went about the daily business of earning a living.

It was soon time for me to respond to frantic phone calls from my home and assure every one that I was safe. I sat quite late in the office and left for home with another colleague who went by car. No trying to take the evening train for me on that day.

It was to have been one more addition in my cup of joy. Another piece of happiness to be added to a 14 month period when I had switched careers, become a father and bought a house. Alas, that wasn’t to be. The memory of the first substantial bonus cheque was forever marred by the tragedy that hit Mumbai on that day.

No comments: