Monday, March 16, 2009

Aamir Khan: Good things in life can be real too

The year was 1988 and as my tired eyes and brains sought some relief while preparing for my final year B.sc examinations, I suddenly heard a mellifluous strain wafting in. Glancing up, I saw that it was coming from the Television set. A young actor and actress were singing “Ghazab ka ye din socho zara”. I was struck by the boyish good looks of the actor who was at that time a new face. The actor was Aamir Khan, the actress Juhi Chawla and the movie of course Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak (QSQT). This movie to me heralded more than a fresh face in Indian cinema. As subsequent events were to prove, it also marked the beginning of the vulgar song era that started with Himmatwala.

Little did I know then I would meet Aamir Khan four years later. I had become a film journalist, and had gone to cover the shooting of Yash Chopra’s Parampara starring Aamir somewhere near Pune. The year was 1992 and his movie Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar had been released to much acclaim.

Aamir was very happy discussing the character he portrayed in the movie—Sanjay Lal- the enfant terrible who matures and takes on the responsibility of participating in a bicycle race after his brother (Marmik) had to withdraw following a fight brought on by who else but Sanjay Lal’s actions. There was also a refreshing honesty about Aamir. When I asked him why his movies between QSQT and Dil flopped he said, “They deserved to flop”. Also on display was a passion to excel. Even after Yash Chopra okayed a shot I saw Aamir asking for a retake many times. The great director obliged.

Soon I left film journalism and moved on to other things in life but the meeting with Aamir left an indelible mark on me. Last Friday, while watching a TV programme on the actor turning 44, I remembered my brief meeting with him. Next day the media was splashed with interviews of Aamir Khan who had now moved on to becoming a film maker apart from continuing as an actor.

In one of the interviews he said that whenever he had made a decision based on what his heart told him, he had succeeded. On the other hand, whenever he made decisions based on pure logic they often did not work out. As an example he pointed out to Parampara. One has to concede that this is one of his least memorable movies.

The significant thing is that in a glamour world dominated by hype Aamir Khan still rings true. The actor seems to be marching to an inner beat. If there is one word that can define Aamir Khan it is perhaps originality. Good things in life can be real too.

No comments: