Monday, September 7, 2009

A Tribute to the Mulund Mountains

As I was walking down Devidayal Road in Mulund (Mumbai’s northernmost tip), the sight of the mountains filled me with wonder. All of 16 I turned to my friend Dharmesh (nicknamed Bhauli) and asked, “ Do you require to use oxygen masks to climb that mountain”. Bhauli burst into laughter and said, “ Certainly not. I have climbed this mountain many times with other people quite easily.”

Soon, I was off on an expedition with Bhauli and the rest off the gang to climb the mountain. As we climbed, I realized that it was not one but really three mountains. The first was a small hillock which was taken in one’s stride quite easily. The second was a bigger mountain where we all relaxed for a while and then began the assault on the third one. That was quite big. Just before we reached the very top we struggled a bit and then were soon witness to breathtaking beauty. We could just see two of the lakes that supplied water to Mumbai—Tulsi, Vaitarna and could catch a glimpse of a third lake –Powai. The natural greenery all around and a hint of wildlife all added to the mystique. We boys often promised ourselves that we would one day get tents and park ourselves for a night on the mountains.

Soon it became quite a routine to take my cousins, friends whoever visited us for that matter from outside Mumbai\Mulund for a trip to the mountain. The effect was always the same—a gasp of admiration for the beauty at the top.

A couple of years after my first visit to the mountain top, we moved to a larger flat in the same building on the fifth floor and we had a picture postcard view of the mountains in the living room. My father says to this day that he paid a premium for just the view.

Over the years, the view of the mountains became a part of my life and would play an important role as I studied for my B.sc final examinations. My frayed nerves would be often calmed by the sight of the mountains. I came to understand the expression –rock of Gibraltar-much better. I realized that exams and for that matter life itself is transitory. The mountains would go on forever. Sometimes uphill, sometimes downhill but they would always be there. Withstanding the ravages of time and civilization they would remain a mute witness to life and history. Giving to the world beauty and serenity and really taking nothing away from it.

4 comments:

Gauri said...

Heartening to read about something that can be enjoyed without spending money in Mumbai! And a mountain, no less..

Unknown said...

a delightful read as usual.

Unknown said...

Great read - i guess we punamites loved the mountains - i really miss it .... love those memories and when i remember those days.....i just go wow!!!

rrvidwans said...

Durgalaxmi referred to your blog.
I worked at the foot of that mountain in Mulund from 1976 to 1992 and went past those right upto Borivali national park/ kanheri caves walking 20-25 miles!
those days it was not infested with panthers nor with human habitats and Bhandup water works had not built those barricades. Only monkeys, owls, peackoks, rabbits, parrots and innumerous other birds were for company. The lake is not vaitarna but Vihar. Fortunately this is the only mountain not quarried by Ganesh Naik and his goondas who have devasted all Vashi, kalwa, airoli mountains totally.