Monday, December 22, 2008

The Cricketer and Nitya

I have earlier written about how my friends recognized my love for cricket but not my talent for the game. Here is yet another evidence of this.

My building Punam where I lived for about three decades was renowned for its circket team. Also, the Punam team was not drawn from just the residents of the building but also included many people from the adjoining buildings. Since talent was the criteria for getting into the team, I was more out of the team than in it. In fact barring the unexpected, I never was in the team.

The only time I found myself in the team was whenever there was a shortage of people. During one such occasion I was asked to join the team. I protested saying that the moment another person came along even if I was originally a part of the team, I was soon evicted. This time I was assured that no such thing would happen. So off we went to a playground nearby to play the match.

The match began with our fielding first and I was stationed at first slip. In the early stage of the game one of the opening batsmen from the opposite team nicked one and the ball was traveling my way. To everyone’s surprise, including my own, I took the catch. Nitya was out. Suddenly a couple of other regular Punam players who were not a part of the original team appeared... Sure enough standard procedure was employed. I was out of the team and a newcomer took my place.

I walked back and stood near Nitya who was obviously upset about his early decision. When he saw me, he remarked, “What was the use of taking my catch. Both of us are out now”

I must confess that since I myself was upset the humour of the situation did not occur to me. Later on I had a good laugh over Nitya’s comment. To this day whenever I narrate this story to anyone, it never fails to induce a smile, if not a laugh.

Maybe I am not the most talented cricketer alone but the game has given me one of my most cherished moments.