Monday, December 29, 2008

Laughing gas

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hydrogen Sulphide (H2S) is known as the gas with the rotten eggs smell but once in my life, it caused much mirth to all those around me.

I was a first year science student of college and all of 16 years old. The venue of this remarkable event was the chemistry laboratory, where presumably bright young researchers are produced.

I was conducting an experiment which required me to use H2S. The problem was that there were a bunch of others who wanted to do the same and there was only one gas tank (for lack of a better word). A bunch of noisy boys and girls gathered round that and were trying to outdo each other in getting a share of the gas. I guess the action got a little general and Rakesh brought the hose pipe from the tank a little too close to my nose.

The next thing I knew was that I was being transported by six people from one end of the laboratory to another. This was after I opened my eyes, for there was a short period when my eyes were firmly shut on falling down unconscious after inhaling the gas. They carried me as though I was on a stretcher and deposited me on a chair on which I managed to sit down. Ms Potnis, the teacher was cool, calm and collected. She ordered a hot cup of tea for me. I was considerably refreshed after all this but was excused form further laboratory work for the day.

My classmate and friend Sivakumar brought a refreshing perspective to the entire affair. “Hey, I really envied you as the attention of the entire class, including the girls was upon you,” From a 16 year old’s perspective that wasn’t exactly a rotten experience.

No comments: